Henri de TOULOUSE-LAUTREC
France 1864 – 1901
La revue blanche
[Poster: La revue blanche] 1895
planographic brush, crayon and spatter lithograph, printed in four colours
Impression: edition between 1000 and 3000
image 124.6 h x 90.8 w cm
Accession No: NGA 75.254
Cutting-edge technology is not just a characteristic of our age
La revue blanche was founded in Belgium in 1889 by brothers Alfred, Alexandre and Thadée Natanson, who then moved it to Paris in 1891. As a publication it was hugely influential on the intellectual and artistic life of the city. From July 1893 to December 1894 it published a print per month by the mainly Nabi artists Edouard Vuillard, Maurice Denis, Paul Ranson, Pierre Bonnard and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, amongst others.
Both Bonnard and Toulouse-Lautrec also produced posters advertising the magazine itself. Toulouse-Lautrec’s commanding image is in fact an homage to Thadée Natanson’s polish-born wife, Misia, who was known as the ‘muse of the review’.
Text © National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 2010